Saturday, November 03, 2007

Shraddhanjali (In Memoirs...)

29 October 2007.. a great life, Keshav Narayan Dandge, passed away peacefully in the city hospital of Kolhapur, India. For the past 2 days the hospital was swarmed with scores of people, his children, grandchildren, his relatives, friends, colleagues and all the people he had touched with his warmth, waiting for him to wake up from his unconsciousness. All of them were in tears and his capable younger son had a tough time to console them.

Keshav Narayan Dandge, one of the most successful advocates in Kolhapur and a genuinely great personality. He was a prominent figure in the law circle, with numerous successful cases to his name. He was not only a successful lawyer but also a successful father. He unfortunately lost his beloved wife very early in their married life to a minor illness. But he never let any of his 4 children feel deprived of motherly love. He raised them with all the love and care of both a father and a mother! All of his 4 children went on to become courageous and successful adults. In his old age, he was well taken care of by his loving youngest son. And the rest of his children were always in touch with him. They shared an inseparable bond of love. He was very generous and kind; he did good to everyone he met in his life; his house was alway full of warmth and care to everyone. He befriended all that he met; he rarely had days when there were no guests! His king-size ways to treat his guests were good enough to keep his loving daughter-in-law on her toes!

29 October 2007.. Keshav Narayan Dandge, my maternal grandfather, left for heavenly abode. He is my role model for an ideal and successful life! He truly lived life king-sized. There was no dearth of food and facilities in their house. I still cherish memories of the days when we used to gather to celebrate his birthday every year on 25th May. We used to celebrate his birthday pompously. We used to enjoy the sumptuous food specially cooked for his birthday and the sweet ripe Alphonso mangoes. We had loads of fun together.

My grandfather had a successful life. I am proud to have such a great lineage with me. When he passed away, the entire Kolhapur district court was declared closed for a day in his memory. The house and the hospital were full of people, his old friends, colleagues, his near and distant relatives, who were inconsolable with tears in their eyes. My uncle, his youngest son, had such a tough time controlling all of them, he had no time to think of his own loss! And my mother! my sweet mother is indeed very courageous; she consoled me even though her loss was bigger than mine!

29 October 2007.. my dearest aajoba left us all behind, to embark upon another successful journey in the other world. He was fortunate that he had all his children and grandchildren besides him when he was dying. I was the unfortunate one who could not meet him during his last days. But I remember his lively existence, his happy eyes when he saw me dressed up as a bride, our long late-night talks on life and everything else on earth, his subtle and intelligent humour, his smiling voice. I feel grateful to God that I could call him and hear his loving words just a week before his death, that he was present to give his blessings on my marriage and share his worldly wisdom with his eldest and his most beloved grandchild!

My dear aajoba.. I feel he is still there amongst us, watching us with his caring eyes and showering his blessings upon us. No, he has not left us.. he will always be there in our hearts. My beloved and dearest aajoba!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No words to express how touching this is. May his soul rest in peace!

Unknown said...

May his soul rest in peace

Unknown said...

May his soul rest in peace.

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

May his soul rest in peace